Sunday, February 23, 2014

Oscar Nominated Songs

In case you haven't guessed by the title, it's Oscar Week here on The Daily Doozy! With just one week leading up to the big night, I am dedicating my blog to all things Oscar-related. Today's post is all about the Oscar nominated original songs! I've listened to all of them and I really like them. I even dedicated a post to Frozen, which has the song "Let It Go" up for the award. The songs are a really good listen and you should definitely check them out. Here's a preview of the songs. Look out for these songs and this award next Sunday night!

1. "Happy" - Pharrell Williams
This song is in Despicable Me 2 and was written and performed by Pharrell. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of this song because I work at a children's clothing store and literally all of the music sounds like this. (It drives me insane).  It has a good beat, though.


2. "The Moon Song" - Karen O. and Ezra Koenig
This song was written by Karen O. and Spike Jonze for the movie, Her and performed by Karen and Ezra Koenig. It has a very lyrical quality to it and tells a tale of love. It's nice and relaxing to listen to.


3. "Ordinary Love" - U2
Pretty much any song by U2 is awesome and "Ordinary Love" is no exception. It has such a powerful message relevant to today's struggles of equality and rights that also is strung thematically through the entire movie, Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom. This song won the Grammy for best original song and I'm sure it will win again, especially since it was written for the film about the late Nelson Mandela. 



4. "Let It Go" - Idina Menzel
This is by far my favorite song of the bunch. (I am a Disney girl at heart.) It may be from a children's animated film, but dammit, it's a great song and a great movie. It starts off slow, but it really builds and it's just epic like all the Disney movies. If I could pick the winner of this category, I would pick this song because not only does it send a great message to kids about being yourself, it is different than the usual songs picked and really encapsulates the entire movie and breaks the Disney stereotypes. I seriously could go on about this forever, but I think the song says it all. (Check out the version sung in 25 different languages, too!



Stay tuned this week for more Oscar related posts! If you liked this post, follow and share this blog. For more songs and other cool stuff, follow me on Pinterest!

0 comments :

Post a Comment